Texas Tough – Dedicated To
Outstanding Personal Service

What can you do if you were left out of a will?

If one of your loved ones has died in Texas, you might be shocked to learn that you weren’t included in their will. Maybe it was a personal choice on your loved one’s part, and if that’s the case, there’s not much to do about it. However, you might want to take action if you have reason to believe that your loved one’s will was altered in any way.

What happens if you were disinherited?

Ultimately, no one is legally entitled to part of their loved one’s estate. Regardless of how close you were in life, your loved one simply might have chosen not to include you during the estate planning process. If you can’t prove that anything illegal happened, it might be best to let it go instead of spending a lot of money on a probate dispute.

However, you might want to hire an attorney if you suspect that your loved one was pressured by another person to write their will in a certain way. This individual could have pressured your loved one to leave more assets to them or fewer assets to other people. An attorney might help you find evidence that shows illegal activity took place.

Either way, it’s important to realize that only certain people can contest a will. To contest a will, you must be a family member or someone who was named in a previous version of the will. Otherwise, you won’t have any legal standing in court.

When should you hire an attorney?

Before you hire an attorney, try to step back and make sure that you’re not acting solely on emotion. If you believe that you have a case, talk to an estate law attorney to see if you could contest the will in court.


FindLaw Network